10 Best Foods for Your Eyes
You need to take proper care of your eyes to maintain good eyesight. There are few fundamental rules that have to be done for good eye care.
As you know very well that exposure to sun is very bad for the eyes. Similarly, if you use computer for long hours that also harm your eyes. Adding to these, smoking is also bad for the eyesight.
But you can take care of your eyes with a healthy diet. It is not difficult to maintain good eyesight, only you need to have the will power do it.
There are many foods which are good for the eyes. Here is a 10 point list of the best foods for the eyesight…
- Carrots: Vitamin A is very essential to maintain good eye health. As it contains antioxidant beta carotene which helps to main good eye health. Carrot is a good choice for having Vitamin A. but besides carrots, you can also have cabbage and lettuce which are also good sources of Vitamin A. Lack of Vitamin A can cause night blindness.
- Spinach: Spinach protects eyes from eye diseases. A carotenoid called lutein which is found in spinach protects eyes from cataract and macular degeneration.
- Fruits: Fruits such as kiwis, oranges, wolfberries are full of Vitamin C. As you know Vitamin C eliminates free radicals that cause damage to the eyes.
- Soy: It contains essential fatty acids, phytoestrogens, vitamin E and natural anti-inflammatory agents that are good for the eyes. Soy products like soy milk, soy beans, soy yogurt are good for eye health. Olive oil and corn are also good for the eyes as these contain good amount of Vitamin E.
- Garlic: Garlic is an excellent food for improving eyesight. It contains sulfur that helps making the lens stronger and resilient. Onions are also rich with sulfur and good for the eyesight.
- Apricots: Apricots contain Vitamin A which relieves eyes from the damage done by the free radicals. It also contains carotenoids which is responsible for better vision.
- Eggs: If you are an egg lover then it’s a good news. Eggs are very good for the eyesight. Eggs contain cysteine, sulfur, lecithin, amino acids and lutein. These also protect eyes from developing cataracts.
- Salmon and Sardines: Omega-3 fatty acids are good for the eyesight. Fish is the major source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon and Sardines are good source of Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which is an Omega-3 fatty acid.
- Broccoli: Broccoli not only improves eyesight but also prevents eyes from cataract. Broccoli contains lutein and zeaxanthin (phytonutrient antioxidants in the carotenoid family). These are very good for the eye lenses. In addition, these carotenoids protect eye cells from free radical stressors.
- Dark Chocolate: It contains flavanoids which protect blood vessels of the eyes. As a result of that cornea and lens stay strong. One point should be noted that dark chocolate needs to be pure to get the desired result.
Beside the above mentioned foods, there are many other foods which are very good for the eyesight. For instance, black current, grapes, lemon, squash, almonds, ostrich, cold water fish etc. are very good source for good eyesight.